Vikings defeat Mogollon, head to state semifinals with Bagdad
WILLIAMS Ariz. — The Vikings baseball team continues to battle their way through the 1A State championship tournament.
The Vikings captured another win May 6 against Mogollon, winning a hard-fought 8-6 game.
The Mustangs got on the board early with a 5-0 lead before the end of the second inning.
Viking Cody Payne hit a triple in the third to bring in three runs for the team to move the score 5-3, Mustangs.
Viking Danny Siegfried hit an infield ground out which was enough for Payne to dig for home to bring the Vikings within one of the Mustangs.
The Mustangs continued to play hard and kept the lead into the bottom of the fourth, leading 6-5.
However, things began to turn in favor of the Vikings when JP Echeverria hit a blast to right field earning a ground-rule double and bringing in two more runs for the Vikings. The Vikings took the lead 7-6 at the top of the fifth inning.
The Vikings made one more run in the final inning to with the quarterfinal game, 8-6.
They now head to the 1A State semifinals where they will face No. 3 Bagdad May 12 at 4 p.m. at Tempe Diablo Stadium.
- Driver identified in fatal accident on Perkinsville Road Sept. 19
- Latest Tik Tok challenges causing problems for Williams Unified School District
- Search at Grand Canyon turns up remains of person missing since 2015
- Plane wreckage and human remains found in Grand Canyon National Park
- Pumpkin Patch Train departs Williams starting Oct. 5
- Update: Man missing in Grand Canyon National Park hike found alive
- Receding water levels at Lake Powell reveal missing car and driver
- Man sentenced for attack on camper at Perkinsville
- Column: Lumber prices expected to stay high through 2022
- Elk rut season in Grand Canyon: What you need to know
- Kaibab Forest seeks public comments on proposed pozzolan exploration
- Williams at sewer capacity; city council to implement building moratorium
- Senators Kelly, Lummis introduce bipartisan bill to remove regulatory obstacles for wildland fire aviation
- Obituary: Eddie Sandoval
- Obituary: Carl Bowdon
- Fritsinger leaves behind a legacy of helping Williams residents
- Obituary: Lorraine Stegmeir
- Obituary: Robert “Bob” Ian Baker
- Obregon City Tacos now serving locals, visitors in downtown Williams
- City of Williams to honor Williams Vikings state champion softball team May 25 with parade, proclamation
Click Below to: