Obituary: John Edward Calley
John Edward Calley was born Feb. 18, 1932 in Little Rock, Arkansas and passed away March 8, 2023 in Riverside, California.
In 1949, John graduated from the Columbia Military Institute in Columbia, Tennessee. Throughout John’s life, his family resided in Williams, and he came home to visit during his vacations. In 1956, he married his good friend, Sheila Kennedy, and they had two sons, John James Calley and Griffyd Adams Calley.
During their marriage, they lived in several countries including Mexico, Panama and Columbia.
John went to college in Mexico City where he obtained his bachelor’s degree in International Business Management and later received his master’s degree.
John worked in Panama and Columbia and loved living life abroad. While John and Sheila later separated, John’s passion for traveling eventually brought him to the love of his life.
In 1971, John married Tranquil Hudson Smith in Locarno, Switzerland. Tranquil brought two sons, Loren Smith and Kaylyn Smith to their marriage. Together, they became world travelers and visited six of the seven continents including Europe, Africa, Asia, Australia, South America, Central America, and most of North America. They went on many adventures including hiking, scuba diving, and cross-country skiing during their 52 years of marriage.
They always had a loyal dog who they enjoyed taking on daily walks and playing with at the dog park.
John proudly served his country in Korea from 1954-1956. Later, he worked in the citrus industry and always had “belly juice” to offer his guests, which was a combination of the fruit juices grown from his garden.
He enjoyed taking pictures, listening to Frank Sinatra, and had a passion for genealogy. John was a member of the Genealogy Society and was able to research his family roots back to the 1st and 2nd century. John was also a proud member of the Grand Jury.
One of his favorite pastimes was golfing with his family and friends. John modeled love and compassion to all those around him. He will be greatly missed by his family and friends.
John is survived by his wife, Tranquil Calley, siblings Jerry Calley (Virginia Calley) and Linda Sherman (Kent Sherman), and his children John James Calley (MaryEllen Calley), Griffyd Adams Calley (Bonnie Calley), his stepson, Loren Smith, his 9 grandchildren, and 7 great grandchildren.
On Saturday, March 25, John Edward Calley will be laid to rest at the Williams Cemetery where his mother, Geraldine Calley, and his father, Dr. John Harry Calley lie. Family and friends are invited to attend the graveside service at 10:00 a.m. A Celebration of Life will follow at noon at the American Legion Cordova Post 13 at 425 W. Grant in Williams, Arizona.
- Driver identified in fatal accident on Perkinsville Road Sept. 19
- Latest Tik Tok challenges causing problems for Williams Unified School District
- Search at Grand Canyon turns up remains of person missing since 2015
- Plane wreckage and human remains found in Grand Canyon National Park
- Pumpkin Patch Train departs Williams starting Oct. 5
- Update: Man missing in Grand Canyon National Park hike found alive
- Receding water levels at Lake Powell reveal missing car and driver
- Man sentenced for attack on camper at Perkinsville
- Column: Lumber prices expected to stay high through 2022
- Elk rut season in Grand Canyon: What you need to know
- Kaibab Forest seeks public comments on proposed pozzolan exploration
- Williams at sewer capacity; city council to implement building moratorium
- Senators Kelly, Lummis introduce bipartisan bill to remove regulatory obstacles for wildland fire aviation
- Obituary: Eddie Sandoval
- Obituary: Lorraine Stegmeir
- Obregon City Tacos now serving locals, visitors in downtown Williams
- City of Williams to honor Williams Vikings state champion softball team May 25 with parade, proclamation
- Obituary: Cheri Dianne Faver-Davis
- Mother pleads guilty after Arizona boy starves to death
- Obituary: Carl Bowdon
Click Below to: