Fossil Creek Road and Childs dispersed camping area to close late February for resurfacing
SEDONA, Ariz. — Fossil Creek Road (Forest Road 708) will close in late February for roughly three months of resurfacing work.
The closure will run from Feb. 27 to May 25. While approximately seven miles of road will be resurfaced, the closure will include the entire segment from Highway 260 to the Fossil Creek Bridge. This closure is necessary to ensure public safety while heavy construction equipment operates in the area.
Recreation sites along Fossil Creek and the Childs Dispersed Camping Area will not be accessible by vehicle during the resurfacing. Boaters should plan to launch and end their trips at alternative river locations.
Boaters will be allowed to camp at Childs during the road closure. All trails in the area – including Bob Bear, Mail, Flume and Dixon Lewis (formerly Waterfall) will remain open.
Coconino National Forest motorists are reminded to always check the status of roads online at coconinonationalforest.us prior to any excursion. Roads may close at any time due to weather, hazards or other unforeseen events.
- Driver identified in fatal accident on Perkinsville Road Sept. 19
- Latest Tik Tok challenges causing problems for Williams Unified School District
- Search at Grand Canyon turns up remains of person missing since 2015
- Plane wreckage and human remains found in Grand Canyon National Park
- Pumpkin Patch Train departs Williams starting Oct. 5
- Update: Man missing in Grand Canyon National Park hike found alive
- Receding water levels at Lake Powell reveal missing car and driver
- Man sentenced for attack on camper at Perkinsville
- Column: Lumber prices expected to stay high through 2022
- Elk rut season in Grand Canyon: What you need to know
- The winter that won't quit
- Arizona governor Katie Hobbs vetoes bill eliminating tax on rentals
- Williams Police report rash of vehicle burglaries
- City of Williams deals with aftermath of historic winter
- Campers and pets rescued at Dogtown Campground
- Residents discuss rumors of new Autocamp site at City Council meeting
- Obituary: Gabriel James Otero
- Havasupai campground evacuated after destructive floods
- All in the family: Deanna Plasencia is the new owner of the Red Raven
- Grand Canyon National Park trails, viewing areas closed due to hazardous conditions
Click Below to: