Trusted local news leader for Williams AZ and the Grand Canyon
Sun, Sept. 19

Halloween festivities begin tomorrow
Dance parties, carnivals and costume contests abound

WILLIAMS - With Halloween right around the corner, it's time to stock up on candy, dress up in your favorite costume and make a plan for attending all the spooktacular events for young and old alike in Williams.

The frightening festivities get under way with the Williams Elementary-Middle School Halloween Carnival tomorrow from 5:30-7:30 p.m. The annual carnival will include a costume contest, haunted house and plenty of food.

Game booths will include a fishpond, lollipop tree, miniature golf, miniature bowling, basketball toss and football toss. Tickets to play the games are four for $1.

Carnival organizer Deniz Chavez-Brock said all proceeds from the carnival go to teachers at the school and the third grade overnight trip to the Phoenix Zoo.

"Each teacher picks whatever game they want to put on. All the teachers benefit from the carnival. Each teacher turns in his or her tickets. We count it up and we give them 80 percent of what they took in to use in their classroom. Third grade gets the other 20 percent to cover part of the overnight trip," she said.

The city of Williams Recreation Department is once again hosting the ever-popular annual Halloween party. Celebrate 6-10 p.m. Friday at the Williams Recreation Center, 300 W. Railroad Ave. Wear your Halloween costume two days in a row while enjoying trick or treating. Highlights include popcorn balls, decorating, pumpkin coloring, magical fun and more. This family themed event is one that you don't want to miss.

For more information or to find out how you can help, call Recreation Director Rose Newbold at (928) 635-1496.

Ragamuffin Dance Co. will hold an all ages Dance Party Fundraiser Saturday at American Flyer Coffee Co. from 8 p.m.-12 a.m. Tickets are $5 in advance and $10 at the door. The dance party will feature clean music for all ages. The event also includes a karaoke contest, raffle prizes and drink specials.

Tickets for the Dance Party are on sale at American Flyer. All in attendance will receive a glow stick bracelet and raffle ticket at the door. Prizes include Ragamuffin T-shirts and free drinks. Seven people who purchase an advance ticket will win a special prize from American Flyer Coffee Co.

Ragamuffin Dance Co. founder Chelsea Anderson said all funds raised will go toward the Ragamuffin Students' Costume Fund.

"Ragamuffin Dance Co. is always committed to helping our students and their parents, and in the current economy that means helping financially. Dance shoes, dance wear, classes, and costumes can all add up, so we would love for the community to come out and support their local dancers and have a blast at the same time," Anderson said.

Earlier in the evening, from 5-7 p.m. American Flyer will host a Kiddy Carnival. Admission is free and tickets are 25 cents for games and treats. All children will receive a goodie bag at the door to decorate and can have their face painted and participate in a foam craft.

Cruiser's Bar and Grill will hold its Halloween Party on Saturday. The festivities begin at 9 p.m. with a live DJ. Drink specials will be offered all night until closing. The Best Costume Contest will feature cash prizes for first, second and third place with $200 going to the first place winner.

If your costume isn't a winner at Cruiser's, try your luck down the street at the Canyon Club's Halloween party from 7-12 a.m. The party features a DJ and costume contest with cash prizes going to first and second place. Partygoers are encouraged to bring a dish for a potluck to provide revelers the energy to have fun all night long. Drink specials will also be available.

Donate Report a Typo Contact