Out of the Past
65 years ago
June 25, 1942
The fire department was called out about 5:30 a.m. this morning to battle flames in a house on the corner of Fifth Street and Hancock Avenue, occupied by several families. The blaze was fanned by a high wind and threatened for a time to raze the structure, but the department succeeded in extinguishing it after it had completely gutted the structure. The men are employed at the Navajo Munitions Depot and it is believed that the blaze started from an overheated cooking stove.
50 years ago
June 27, 1957
Fire of undetermined origin swept through storage rooms at the rodeo grounds on East Rodeo Road Thursday afternoon shortly after 2 o'clock. The Williams Volunteer Fire Department answered the call and extinguished the blaze. Considerable damage was done to the interior of the storage rooms, according to Jim Salem, fire chief. Two stock saddles, and two pack saddles, and considerable camping equipment and feed belonging to Dr. Martin Flohr were destroyed in the blaze. However, Dr. Flohr's horse, Bugs, and mule, Stinker, were unharmed.
35 years ago
June 29, 1972
At 2 a.m. this morning Tony Lugo of the Williams Police Department noticed that the back window of Williams Country Grocer had been broken. Tony summoned help. The police surrounded the building and a suspect was caught coming out the back of the building with a bag of groceries and a rock. It is reported that the suspect told the police he was hungry.
(Editor's note: The preceding news items were taken out of the Williams News (1889-present).