Photo detail

Author and historian John Westerlund stands in front a religious marker where POWs gathered for church services at the Navajo Ordnance Depot during World War II. The top of the monument held a crucifix.

Stories this photo appears in:

Tease photo

Part 2 of 2: Navajo Ordnance Depot utilizes Austrian POW labor during World War II

The Navajo Ordnance Depot was built in Bellemont in 1942 as an ammunition storage location for the Pacific Theater of World War II.