WILLIAMS, Ariz. - Thousands of people flocked into the city of Williams to enjoy a Fourth Of July celebration in 1993.
Visitors gather at a hunting camp sometime around the 1930s outside of Williams.
WILLIAMS, Ariz. - In 1941 businesses celebrated the holiday season in downtown Williams with street and store front decorations.
The Williams Billiard Hall provided wine, liquor and cigars in 1880, while the Grand Canyon Hotel was built by C.E. Boyce and had a general merchandise store below the rooms.
Out of the past: Forest service ingenuity in the 1930s
Out of the past: Williams High School
WILLIAMS, Ariz. — A herd of 30 Arabian horses graze in an expansive pasture behind the ranch. In the distance is a herd of elk, heads down and at peace, as if sharing pastureland with an intricately bred lineage of horses from the middle east is commonplace.
Out of the past: Williams in 1939
Above: West End Grocery sold beer, wine, meat, fruit and other grocery items through the 1980s. Below: Big Town Hero replaced West End Grocery around 2011 which included a remodel. Do you have any comments on these photos? Please post them on williamsnews/facebook. Photos/Williams Historical Photo Archive and Wendy Howell/WGCN
The Sultana Theatre, Babbitt's Grocery, Red Grown Gasoline and the Grand Hotel in Williams. Do you have any information about this photo? If so, email Williams reporter firstname.lastname@example.org.
Many of the building built in the early 1900s in Williams are still standing today. Johnson and McConkey Grocery and Hardware graced the corner of Route 66 and Third Street in downtown Williams in 1920. Cruisers Restaurant now occupies the building.
Out of the past: Downtown Williams 1883
Out of the past: the CCC at work on the Kaibab and the old Grand Canyon Highway.
Sandoval's Mobil on Grand Canyon Boulevard has made a few minor changes in the past 20 years. The tire shop was added, and gas prices have crept up a bit.
Downtown Williams experiences a snowstorm in 1937. Photos/Williams Library Historical Photo Archive
The east side of Williams in the 1950s looks similar to present day albeit with less trees.
Residents say the outdoor pool at Cureton Park was the place to be during the summer months in Williams in the 1960s-1970s.
Out of the past: the Grand Canyon Hotel revitalized
Out of the past: Williams Auto becomes the Route 66 Italian Bistro
Bill Wilkinson Ford was located along Route 66 in Williams in the 1970s. The business is now Custom Designs Autobody and is owned by Talon Fuller.
Out of the past: Route 66 Rexall Drugstore fire
In the 1950s, Williams residents could do their banking downtown and walk next door and buy a car. Grand Canyon Blvd. once housed Harvey Gibbs Dodge Plymouth, Gateway Cleaners and the Bank of Arizona. In 2016 the old bank is virtually untouched but is now home to a jewelry business. Pine Country Restaurant is in the Dodge Plymouth building, and Copper Canyon gift store has replaced Gateway Cleaners.
Safeway, Whitey's TV, O'Connell's Rexall Pharmacy and a laundromat were located in the above building facing Route 66 in this picture taken around 1970. To the east of the building is the small house where the Salon at 614 is located today.
Out of the past: Williams Main Street hasn't changed much in the last 85 years. Businesses have come and go, but many of the buildings look exactly the same.
Horse racing was a past time in early Williams.