Construction begins on a tunnel and trestles in Johnson Canyon, between Williams and Ash Fork, Arizona. The Johnson Canyon Tunnel was the only tunnel constructed on the Atchison, Topeka, and Santa Fe Railroad circa 1881. More photos can be found at Williams Historic Photo Archive.
More like this story
- Out of the past: A train crash near Williams
- Ash Fork’s Steel Dam remains a testament to importance of the railroad in the development of the west
- Building of A&P Railroad -- a great construction feat
- Railway finishes platform<br>project at GC train depot
- Out of the past: A gathering at the Catholic Church in Williams