This roadhouse located along Route 66 near Parks was once called McHatt Inn. It was constructed with handhewn logs in the late 1800s. The log construction, gas and a few cabins beckoned travelers off the highway. It’s rumored that it became a brothel in the 1940s because of the proximity to the Elmo Dance Hall located across the road. The dance hall was demolished when the interstate was constructed.
In the mid 1940’s, the roof and dormers (seen in early photographs) were replaced, and the oversized wagon wheels were rolled out front and the establishment was renamed Wagon Wheel Inn. In the 1960s, it became a private residence and today it is called the Wagon Wheel Winery and is owned by Ann and Louie Serna, who grow grapes on the property.
More like this story
- Responses to have ready when queried about quaint Williams
- Cowboys, sheepherders and hobos part of 1884 Williams
- A rancher's life — hard in America’s centennial year<br>
- Going the distance: Route 66 celebrates 90th birthday
- What's going on? Wagoners service station available for lease following complete remodel