Guest column<br><br>Avoid carbon monoxide threat with use of detectors<br>

It is highly important that an area have good ventilation in addition to servicing all appliances on a regular basis. Reliable carbon monoxide detectors can protect you and your family with both visual and audible warnings immediately if there is a presence of dangerous levels of carbon monoxide in your home. A carbon monoxide detector is the only way you can be alerted to increasingly dangerous levels of this poison.

Carbon monoxide poison enters the body through the lungs by one simply breathing. This poison displaces oxygen from the bloodstream. When the normal supply of oxygen is interrupted, the functions of the heart, brain and other vital organs of the body are at risk. Persons suffering from heart or respiratory problems, infants and small children, unborn children expectant mothers and pets are affected more quickly by the poison and are usually the first to show symptoms.

Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning include a slight headache within two to three hours of exposure if your carbon monoxide detector shows a level of 200 parts per million. At 400 parts per million, a frontal headache can develop that becomes widespread within three hours. At a level of 800 parts per minute, symptoms include dizziness, nausea and convulsions within 45 minutes. If your carbon monoxide detector alarm sounds or if you suspect high levels of carbon monoxide in your home, call 911 immediately.

If you do not have a carbon monoxide detector, the WVFD can assist you in obtaining one free of charge. The WVFD can also provide you with nine-volt batteries for your smoke detector and fire extinguishers. How can we afford to offer these products free?

Each year, the WVFD hosts a golf tournament and dance. This year’s event is scheduled for June 12 at the Elephant Rocks Golf Course. Proceeds from the tournament and dance are used to purchase carbon monoxide and smoke detectors in addition to nine-volt batteries and fire extinguishers.

In the meantime, always remain safe and think fire safety. For more information, call 635-4451 or visit the following Web sites: www.carbonmonoxidekills.com or www.firehouse.com.

Comments

Comments are not posted immediately. Submissions must adhere to our Use of Service Terms of Use agreement. Rambling or nonsensical comments may not be posted. Comment submissions may not exceed a 200 word limit, and in order for us to reasonably manage this feature we may limit excessive comment entries.

Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.